This week the Real Food Experience is discussing drinking real beverages for better health. I’ve invited my friend Janelle to stop by and share her favorite healthy drinks with you. Before I turn things over to Janelle, I want to first let you know how much I love Janelle. I met Janelle just a few years ago (wink.wink.) while we were at Ohio Northern University. To this day, I look at Janelle and see one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. I am proud to call her family thanks to our sorority Alpha Omicron Pi. She has always been someone I look up to and admire. I hope you enjoy her post here and get to know her even more over at her blog The Peaceful Haven.
Here is Janelle………….
What we put into our body matters.
It’s not just food we need to think about but also the importance of ingesting healthy drinks that will keep us hydrated and at the same time provide nutritional value.
Water plays an integral role in the optimal functioning of our body. Did you know that water makes up 70 to 75 percent of our muscle tissue? Fat tissue is relatively low in water content, at about 10 percent. Even bones are about 32 percent water! There is no debating that our bodies need to stay hydrated in order to function and stay healthy.
How much water do you need?
We need to consume eight 8 ounce glasses of fluid (4 quarts) daily, mainly in the form of water. The good news is that we can get our needed hydration from various healthy drinks. Now, don’t stop bringing your water bottle everywhere you go. Rather, add some spice to your life by adding some delicious healthy drinks to your diet!
5 HEALTHY DRINKS YOU WILL LOVE
- Herbal Tea Herbal tea does not dehydrate your body like black tea has the potential to do. Herbal tea can be drunk both hot and cold and is a healing drink that strengthens the body and adds extra nutrition depending on what kind of herbal tea you imbibe.
- Lemon Water Start your day off with an 8 ounce glass of hot or cold lemon water. This is a cleansing drink that helps to hydrate and remove the impurities stored in your body. Squeeze a lemon slice into your water and drink. Take a look at all the benefits of drinking lemon water. Lemon water improves digestion, promotes skin repair, balances the body’s Ph level, cleanses the liver and urinary tract to name just a few!
- Kombucha Kombucha refers to any of a variety of fermented sweetened black or green tea drinks that are intended to provide a probiotic function as well as keep you hydrated in a delicious way. My favorite brand to purchase is called “Bucha” live Kombucha.
- Kefir Water Kefir water is another fermented drink that provides you with a natural probiotic that tastes great and keeps your whole body healthy. Water kefir only takes 24 to 48 hours to make which is a short time for a fermented drink. You can even make it using coconut water which will add some other nutrients to this healthy option.
- Coffee We are talking about coffee without cream or sugar here. Coffee is a rich source of antioxidants. Recent studies have shown that it may reduce cavities, boost athletic performance, improve moods, stop headaches, reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, liver cancer, gallstones, cirrhosis of the liver, and Parkinson’s diseases. I have also heard that 5 cups of black coffee a day helps to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Now, here is the thing about coffee. For every cup of coffee you drink you must drink 2 cups of water. This will make sure you do not get dehydrated.
A change is as good as a rest…have you ever heard that expression? I challenge you to make hydration a priority in your daily routine but I also challenge you to shake things up a bit by trying one of these tasty healthy drink options.
What is your favorite healthy drink?
Janelle Esker is the grateful wife of Michael and homeschooling mother of six amazing children. She lives with her family, 4 cats, 1 dog, 3 ducks and 12 chickens in scenic Ohio. Janelle received her B.A. in Education from Ohio Northern University. She is the author of CHOSEN: One Family’s Journey with Autism.
For more on the Real Food Experience check out all of the weekly challenges by clicking on the image below.