When it comes to eating Real Food you may be surprised to find out that different folks have different rules. Some folks insist on growing, soaking, dehydrating, and preparing all of their food from scratch. My family attempts to Juggle Real Food and Real Life by setting food rules that work for our busy family. I encourage you to have a family meeting and decide what works best for your family. Your food rules need to be something you all can live with. There is no point in going to the trouble of switching your family to a real food lifestyle for just a couple of weeks. You want to create healthy living food rules that you can live with for a lifetime.
Foods we no longer eat:
2. Limit packaged foods to 5 ingredients. We try to limit things we eat out of a box, bag or can to having 5 ingredients or less. Flip the package over and look at the ingredient listing.
3. Deep-Fried Foods: We no longer eat deep–fried foods on a regular basis.
4. Honey and Maple Syrup: The only sweeteners we use on a regular basis are honey and real maple syrup. We don’t use any artificial sweeteners either. That means I had to kick my Diet Coke habit. Not easy!
5. Beware of organic packaged foods. We’ve also agreed that just because it says it’s organic, doesn’t mean we can eat the whole box at once.
6. We’ve decided to avoid artificial colors. This one is tougher than we thought it would be. Artificial colors are in all different kinds of foods. I found color added to pickles. Why can’t they just be green all by themselves?
7. NO “FAST FOOD”: This one is really tough for busy families who are always on the go.
For more “Rules” read Part 2 “What we eat” here.