Do you dream of an organized bedroom that you can return to after a busy day to rest and relax? I know I do. However, my reality is more of a nightmare. My bedroom seems to be where everything gets shoved when company comes over. It’s also the place where random items that don’t have a proper home end up. As a result, my closet is packed with all sorts of things that don’t belong in a closet. It’s really difficult to have an organized closet when it is overflowing with chaos.
In an attempt to reclaim my closet for its intended purpose, I’ve decided to break the closet cleaning into several smaller projects. Let’s just say, “clean bedroom closet” never makes it to the top of most people’s to-do list. If you are like most people, you probably don’t have a ton of time to work on cleaning and organization projects. Work, taking care of the kids, preparing dinner and all of the other things you have to cram into your day doesn’t leave much time for a closet overhaul. What works best for me is breaking things down into smaller projects rather than simply giving up because there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done. Cleaning a closet all at once is physically and emotionally draining. Who wants that? Today, we are starting with “Closet Cleaning Project 1.” Today we are going to purge 7 things that we don’t need in our closet anymore. If we can clear the clothing rack and see some progress, we will be more motivated to keep going.
7 Things You Don’t Need in Your Closet Anymore
1. Anything that doesn’t fit. No need to hold on to clothes that don’t fit. Come on………if you lose weight then you are just going to buy new clothes anyway, right? Fill your closet with beautiful clothes that fit you and you will be happy to get dressed each morning no matter what your size is.
2. Duplicate items. In going through my closet, I noticed that I had multiples of some items. Multiple cream colored pants and multiple floral blouses. I also noticed that I only wear my favorite from each category on a regular basis. If you do the same thing, keep your favorite and get rid of the extras.
3. Anything you don’t like. Too small. Too big. Strange shoulders. Bra shows. Not quite right color. Whatever the reason……if you don’t like it, get rid of it.
4. Stained or damaged clothing. Some stains just don’t come out…..no matter how much stain remover you use. I am terrible at mending clothing. I never seem to find the time to do it. I have pants that need hemmed until they go out of style. At some point, it just makes sense to get rid of it all.
5. Items you “used to love but will never wear again.” The hardest thing to do is to get rid one of your favorite outfits, even if it’s from 20 years ago. However, there is no need to hold on to something you will never wear again. Sure that blouse was perfect to wear out for a night on the town, but styles change. Go ahead and make room for new “perfect outfits.”
6. Anything you have only worn once or have never worn. Have you ever gone shopping and purchased something and then never worn it? It happens. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Just get rid of it. You don’t have to hold on to the guilt.
7. Comfy clothes. You are probably reading this right now and thinking “that woman is out of her mind”. Stick with me and let me explain. Comfortable clothing is important, but I think it’s important when purging clothing from your closet to think about only holding on to what you love and what makes you feel good about yourself. Baggy bottom yoga pants and ripped t-shirts don’t have the same effect on us as beautiful lounge-wear or new yoga pants for that matter. “Comfy” is often just an excuse to hold on to things that should be thrown away.
There you go! 7 things you can get rid of right now as you work on decluttering the dreaded overstuffed closet. Can an organized bedroom be far behind? A girl can dream right? Clear the clutter from the closet and you will no longer have to stand in front of the closet worrying about nothing to wear. It amazes me that after purging my closet, I actually felt like I had more to wear. More clothes that I love to wear anyway.